Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I guess you can get a GT3 for $60k

eBay is showing a $59k 2003 GT3 A little sleuthing and it turns out this is a salesman front for Michael Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek, CA. Nice to see the eBay Buy-it-Now is $3k lower than the dealer website ask:

The interior is all decked-out in leather. Some carbon fiber, but leather wheel and leather console? Odd choices for a GT3. And from the "Z" letters in the option list, it's from the Exclusiv dept, full-custom. The A/C and no roll-cage indicate this is a "comfort" trim model. But taken to the nines with the contrast stich from the Exlusiv dept.

Don't know why I'm sharing this, really, except that I am surprised a GT3 can be had for this kind of money. Still out of my reach though. I do wonder if I'd choose this or the Turbo, price-equivalent. They've got one of those, too. The turbo does have four seats :)

Price aside, this particular one is a non-starter for me because its black. I can abide a multitude of sins in a car, but black paint is is only for hearses, limos and Model Ts. That is only marginally too-harsh; I've seen some beautiful show cars, including some pre-A 356es in black. Who could fault a Bugatti Atlantic Coupe in black. But show cars in black are really to show of the coachwork. "If it's perfect, paint it black," is what I heard in shop class.

But the pricing of these supercars shows both the softness of the current market, and the new glut for 4-5 year-old 911s, probably owing to the boom of those years and subsequent lease returns or just "moving on" to the next cool car.

You could probably test the Stead Porsche 2010 GT3, too. It's listed as "new", but it has 100 miles on it. That smells like, "test driver" to me.

No comments: